Sunday, December 09, 2007

Two New Books!

My birthday is about 9 days away now, but my wife decided to get and give me an early birthday present! Well, two presents actually!

The first one is one I've been wanting for over a year, but didn't want to read until I had really gotten a chance to get into Dalai Lama, His Essential Wisdom. Now that I've reinforced my inner peace with the Dalai Lama's help, I'm ready to read the Art of War, by Sun Tzu! It was originally written about 8,000 years ago and it's even more popular today (hey, we have printing machines now!). She bought it at Barnes and Noble, but you can find it on eBay too. The book was originally written in Chinese as well, so you may find many supposed authors of this book, but they're more closely related to "interpretors" in my opinion.

The second book is called "Mind Games" by Michael Powell. It's one of those books that you can pick up and flip to any page to sharpen your mind. It's also the kind of book that if you leave laying around, guests will pick it up and enjoy it as well, without having to really get into it. Two pages worth of reading can leave them just as fulfilled as if they read twenty. Because some of the concepts are somewhat difficult to grasp, it might be best if they only read a few pages anyway. It would be fantastic for a waiting room. Sure, lots of people would touch it and get germs all over it, but there's no perfume samples in it, so they probably wont be rubbing it all over their bodies. The tips in this book probably wont really get old for over 100 years too. They're somewhat eclectic.

Special thanks to Book Calendar, who gives in depth literary opinions for inspiring me to put my two cents in about books.

No comments: